Tuesday, October 1, 2013

September Goodies

I had quite a long list of new products to buy after reading my favorite blog, DrugstorePrincess. She has pages and pages of dupes for basically any makeup product you could think of, and great posts about her own personal favorites. So I decided to go on the hunt this month at Target, Walmart, and Walgreens. This is what I came home with:


Target:
-ELF Contouring blush and bronzer duo $3
-ELF High Definition powder $6
-ELF Shimmering Facial Whip in Lilac Petal $1
-Revlon Photo Ready concealer $8.99
I bought the shimmering facial whip by ELF because it's a supposed dupe for Urban Decay's High Beam. It's a great little highlighter for cheekbones, brow bones, the inner corner of your eyes, and your cupid's bow. Not only is it the cheapest makeup product I have ever purchased (ONE dollar!!!) it also smells really good too. The blush in ELF's contouring duo is recommended as a dupe for NARS' Orgasm blush, although for me the verdict is still out on that one. I purchased the HD powder because of some reviews I have read on it, that it's supposed to kind of 'blur' imperfections for a photo-ready face. When used with the pouf they provide, I find the powder to be really grainy and noticeable on the skin. So I switched to a Kabuki brush and it is a little better, however you still have to spray your face with a setting spray or blot with a wet paper towel in order to avoid that powdery look.


Walgreens
-Wet-n-Wild coloricon pencils in 34091 Pink Suede and 717 Berry red $1ea.
-Wet-n-Wild lipstick in 918D Cherry Bomb $2
-Wet-n-Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow palette in Comfort Zone $4.99
-Wet-n-Wild Mega Liner liquid eyeliner in Turquoise $2
Top swatch is Berry Red lip liner, below that is the Pink Suede eyeliner (that will be used on my lips!) The lipstick on the bottom is Cherry Bomb. I found the lip liner to be great but the eyeliner to be a little too soft to create a perfect outline for your lips. I wore the lipstick for the first time today and it feathered pretty bad, so I would definitely recommend using a lip primer underneath first, such as Sally Hansen's Plumping Lip Primer. 
I love the color of this eyeliner, but the application is another story. It's just not easy to get a nice straight line with the brush, but on the plus side if you do manage to get it on just right it won't be going anywhere all day. That stuff is ON THERE. 
Somehow I laid my hands on the coveted Comfort Zone palette by Wet-n-Wild, said to be very similar to the Naked palettes by Urban Decay. I admit I feel a little guilty just waltzing into Walgreens right after I read about this palette and seeing it sitting there waiting for me to snatch it up, since so many have looked for weeks without any luck. The colors are beautiful, and divided into two looks, one on the left which is a neutral brown, and the right has a few green colors. For those that are just beginning to play with shadows, these palettes are ideal since there are directions included! I believe the shade they call the 'definer' is supposed to be used as a liner, although the bottom right shadow is way too pretty to be used just as an eyeliner! It's a two-toned color that looks almost copper in one direction, then a shimmery purple-blue in another. My swatch above are the shadows over NYX's Jumbo Eye Pencil in 'Milk'. I would definitely recommend using a shadow primer under these since they tend to fade pretty quickly by themselves. Below is a better swatch from nonpareilboutique.com


Walmart:
-Hard Candy original primer $8
-Covergirl Flamed out mascara $5.94
-Maybelline Define-a-brow pencil $5.97
I hadn't thought much about primers until I read several reviews about them. Since I work next to a hot grill frying chips for a couple hours each day at work I figured it might be in my best interest to pick one up to keep my makeup in place throughout the day. I bought the much recommended Hard Candy Primer in the original ultra light formula. Ultra light it is, the primer feels like silk when rubbed on, which does make it kind of hard to feel where you have already put the primer on. The cost is about average for a drugstore primer, and works pretty well at keeping makeup where you want it when applied after a moisturizer and before any makeup. 
Flamed Out is the newest mascara from Covergirl, which is my favorite brand of mascara. It isn't part of the Lash Blast collection so the wand is your standard fiber bristles instead of the cool little rubbery ones. That being said it does make me like it less than the Lash Blast ones because the rubber bristled wands never get clumpy while fiber ones tend to get their bristles stuck together. However it still gets the job done with it's uniquely shaped wand and flares the outer lashes out, without any transferring or smearing during the day. Overall not a bad purchase at all.
I haven't bought an eyebrow pencil in a long time so I decided to give them another try in order to get a sharper line. I bought the medium brown to light auburn brown shade which ended up being too light but still matched the color of my current hair color so it worked out. I do like the formula, however a sharp line cannot be achieved without a really sharp pencil so I think this product is better used for filling in the brows. I probably wouldn't recommend this just because you can purchase a regular hand-sharpened brow pencil for a few bucks less with the same result. As for the Chap Stick, well I've been buying this brand for years and I never leave the house without one in my purse. This specific flavor is velvet cupcake, and there are many more to choose from. I recently tried out the Baby Lips collection from Maybelline and gave my Chap Stick a break but I just couldn't pass up on this yummy flavor. 

Well those are my purchases from the month of September! Do you have any of the above products and have an opinion about them you would like to share with me? Comment below and tell me what you liked or did not like about them, and look for more reviews and hauls in the future.
Get this button!

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of these! they are great drugstore buys. I love the elf bronzer/blush, I use it to contour. I think I even have the wet n wild liquid liner in the same color lol. We have crazy similar taste :P

    ReplyDelete